Wednesday, January 21, 2009

President Obama



So, the Inauguration Party for President Obama was yesterday and Wow, what a spectacle! It’s very hard for me to miss out on a party and I always like to be where the optimism and hope is, but I felt conflicted about the whole thing.

I did not vote for President Obama, but the people have spoken and I respect that. As I watched all the hoopla, I found myself excited for the black community and can only imagine the excitement and pride they were feeling. The hysteria was not limited to the black community - there were people of all races and class screaming for joy as if Jesus himself, had come back to save us from the fires of hell.

I, myself stand back with guarded optimism. He projects himself as seemingly the perfect father, the perfect husband, the perfect man to solve all our problems, but so far, all he has done is get himself elected. He is a true poet and words roll off his tongue like honey, but words are words and action is action.

It’s good to see the country so excited and engaged again, but I would like to hold some of the applause and idolization until after he has actually done something. President Obama has not proven himself a great man with great accomplishments yet – he’s still just a man with inspiring words. Maybe, it shows just how desperate Americans are for a hero and he’s the one who stood up and put on the cape.

I disagree with him on some of the issues, but I hope that he surprises me and proves me wrong. I hope that all this Beatle mania is warranted and we can look back one day and see how he made important and significant changes that benefited and strengthened our country.

I pray that yesterday’s parties were not in vain. I pray that he makes us all proud.
I pray that he lives up to and beyond all the hype. But most of all, I pray that he has a change of heart where a change of heart is most crucial.

I will be praying for you, President Obama, with an optimistic heart…..

3 comments:

Kate said...

so well said Sheri. My heart is right there with yours. I'm very torn going into this new administration. So many of the issues he's voted for/against go against my faith and my religious beliefs. They are entirely against the way I was raised. I just pray that he is guided by God and the Constitution our forefathers laid out for this great land.

"Beatlemania" - cracks me up!

Jen said...

The key words in that post which stood out to me like a BLARING SIREN were "I pray"
That's it right there my dear. That IT. If we will continue to do that...we're all gonna be just fine. Because our lives, our trust, our hope, our fate does NOT lie in the hands of one man---We are being carried, held in the arms of our Father--the One who will NEVER let us down.
We are only on this earth temporarily and of course, we want the best while we are here...but when things don't go as we planned or hoped, we can still REST assured that our ultimate trust lies in God.
I SO SO SO appreciate this post and your view on this subject. It is a touchy subject in the "Christian world" right now...as many of us are dumbstruck that "this" happened...but alas, things on this earth are only temporal. My daughter, who is 8, is having a hard time understanding our switch or change-in-heart towards Obama. (as we were "against" him before the elction and now seem to be suddently "for" him). It broke my heart to see her disgust for this man who is now our leader and I realized that I probably had a big part in that strong point of view of hers. Anyway, like I explained to her--he may have not been our choice...but he IS our president and he deserves our respect. We will not bad-mouth him in our house. We will make mention of the positive things and pray about the undesirable things. Period.

Anyway, thanks for always posting your thoughts and views. They are inspiring!

Amy said...

I share your cautious optimism, Sheri. He's full of personality and suave, but he hasn't really had to prove himself yet. I believe his heart is in the right place, and I am hopeful that his administration brings positive change. He has a big, big job ahead of him, and he needs the support and prayers of the entire country.