Monday, July 28, 2008

Criminal On The Loose!


So, I’m heading off to work today, when I approach the stoplight at the edge of the subdivision. The light is red, so I stop, naturally. I wait. I wait. I wait. I wait as cars continue to drive through the green light as I sit at my red light. I wait. I watch the minutes tick by as I wait and I wait.

So, what’s going on? Is there an honest malfunction in the wiring? Is this a test – is there a cop hiding in the bushes ready to pounce if I decide to break the law? OR, is Dateline doing a story on whether you would do the right thing regardless of the circumstances? “We tested 100 people sitting at a red light that never turned green. Would they actually break the law just because they got impatient? Watch Dateline Tuesday and find out!”

I ran all these scenarios through my head as I sat and waited. I found myself preparing my defense if I got caught running this red light. But could I defend such action? Red means stop and green means go. This is as true as the sky is blue and the sun is yellow. But C’mon! At what point do I stop being a good law-abiding citizen and become the idiot who sat at a malfunctioning red light for an hour and ten minutes?

Feeling like a child learning to safely cross the street, I looked both ways three times for oncoming cars and upward for helicopter police. When the coast was clear, I darted out into the intersection taking a sharp left turn and waited for the police sirens to sound. They never did.

Look at me! Look at me! I’m a criminal running free………...

7 comments:

kenady said...

That was hilarious!! I've been there too and did exactly what you did and got away with it! Look, we're both criminals running free:)

I'm Kenady, by the way... Kuckie sent me over to check your blog out. Love it!

Kuckie said...

I can totally see it...

How long did you actually wait? I know patience is not one of your strong suits! ;0)

Sheri said...

no comment :)

KC said...

This is HILARIOUS!!!! I happen to personally know some cops, reckon there is a reward if I turn you in? ;)

Sheri said...

Kc - they'll have to catch me first

Jen said...

OKay, you win. I think you have the coolest, funnest to read blog EVER. I am totally addicted to Logzie's blog and I do still LOVE her...but your blog has had me CRACKING Up twice today and I am not even having a good day! ha ha
Thanks for the laugh! You are an EXCELLENT writer!

Sheri said...

Thank you for the awesome review! You just made my day!