Monday, July 14, 2008

Seriously...How About Some Change?

Ok, so I’m obviously looking for change in my life and up to very recently, didn’t know how to get it. Finally, I had an epiphany and realized how much I love taking pictures and how I would love to be a master at taking them. I’ve been tossing around the idea of buying a Digital SLR camera and taking some classes. I think about it every day, actually. I was convinced this was the right route for me, so I decided to act swiftly.

I looked online for classes and found that a 6-week course that I was interested in, was starting in TWO days. I haven’t ordered my camera yet, but I decided that little detail was irrelevant. Of course, attending a class on Digital SLR cameras, while all I have is a Power Shot Elph is like showing up for a spinning class wearing a dress. Sure, it can be done, but who does that? Apparently I do, because as far as I was concerned, if my schedule at work allowed me to get out the door on time to get to that class, I was in.

So today, I found that with my schedule, it would be tight – but doable –yeh! I go home at lunch to sign up and when I enter the website and click on ‘classes‘, it’s like I’ve entered a totally different site than yesterday, which is not a good thing, because this site shows no classes in my area. I’m like, “WHAT?!” I check and recheck and no matter how many times I click the tab, I get the same results – amazing, huh?

I dial up that store looking for answers and poor Brian had no clue what was going on. After several minutes on hold, he informs me that apparently in the last 12 hours they decided all the classes were being revamped and were not available to take at this time. WHAT? what? C’mon God, work with me! Pleeeeeeeeeease work with me……

Fine. I’ll change something else. It just so happens I bought paint today to repaint my studio room, so I‘ll change that! I went with my instincts and just picked a color. I was so excited to be making decisions and getting things done. So, I start painting the room. No, I don’t prep before I paint - I just move furniture as needed. I don’t lay drop cloths, I don’t cover anything, and I don’t tape – I live dangerously like that. Anyway, I start rolling this paint on the wall and I can barely tell the new paint from the old. WHAT? How can that be? I’m painting a Pearl Onion Green over a Buttercup or Egg Yolk Yellow ( I don’t remember) - how can they look the same? So, I continue to paint in denial. I roll and roll down the wall, until I am interrupted by someone at my door. No, I don’t want to be a Jehovah’s Witness. I’m Catholic – I’ve already got my ticket into heaven………...kidding!
I fix myself something to eat while downstairs – all part of my plan to separate myself from the room for awhile, so I can return with a new perspective. Well, I could have eaten breakfast, lunch, and dinner down there and those walls would still prove that green can look just like yellow. I felt like I had just shredded $45 while sniffing paint fumes – what a waste!

This was obviously not a day for change. This was a day for reminders on how God works in mysterious ways – very mysterious in my life – very mysterious…..

Honestly, what was I thinking - painting my walls with Pearled Onion? Who does that?

No comments: