Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Shouldn't Grass Just Grow?




Shouldn’t Grass Just Grow?
When I became a homeowner 8 years ago, I never could have imagined that growing grass would be such an ordeal. I certainly never thought I would pay someone to make it grow faster, so I could mow it more often, but this is what I do. The first year in my house, I figured all the dandelions could be plucked by hand – oh yeah, all the men in the neighborhood had a good laugh at that for sure. Me, out there pulling each dandelion one by one, as the remaining root underground laughs and mocks me, as it plans it’s return within the week. I used to mow the lawn every week because the weeds needed it, not the grass. When I realized the clay earth that my grass was trying to live and grow in, did not acknowledge the use of my natural and organic fertilizers, I had to call for help and this is when my tumultuous relationship with Lawn Care companies began.

I hired them because I needed them, but they didn’t treat me right. They would come over unannounced and they didn’t listen very well so, I would break up with them. But when the next spring rolled around, my lawn looked like I had intentionally seeded it with dandelions. I felt like I had no choice but to call the Lawn Company and ask for their help again. This time, I laid down some ground rules. “You work for me”, I said. Things started out OK, but before I knew it, I was waking up on my day off to the sound of a truck’s motor outside my house. They were not invited today, so I shoot out of bed wearing pajamas that no one but me and the mirror should see, and I run out the back patio door yelling, “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” The poor gentleman stands there speechless – probably thinking, “who dresses that girl?” I realize this man is just following orders, so I change my tone. I politely explain that I did not order this treatment and I don’t intend to pay for it. He apologizes for the misunderstanding and I apologize for my attire and all is forgiven. The next day, I break up with his company. I called on a new company this year, and after 3 treatments, my lawn looks like I set it on fire. I don’t know what to do. Every time I mow my lawn, I look down on my poor grass that doesn’t seem to know how to grow and think to myself, “Shouldn’t grass just grow?”
Shouldn’t it?

No comments: